Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mommas getting crafty





Now that it is getting cooler, Wyatt is wearing jackets.  Even though he has a nice walk in closet, I hate having to go in there to get a jacket out and put it back up everyday!  I know kinda lazy, but hey anything I can do to save time, I'm all for it.  So, I decided he needed a coat rack in his room.  We have one in the mud room but it is full.  I looked and looked for one I liked and nothing, so I decided I would make him one.  I'm kinda crafty, and Pinterest just gets my creative juices flowing.  So here's what I did to make Wyatt his very own coat rack! 


First I spelled his name out in blocks we already had, sans the A.  Yes, for some reason we had no A, so I thought well crap back to the drawing board.  Then I looked at the V a little closer and hmm whaddaya know upside down it looks like an A, just add a purple permanent marker and voila an A!



I wanted the jackets to have a little something more to hang on, so I stacked the blocks on top of each other.  I placed them differently so you can see just a little color from the block underneath.





I then used Gorilla Glue to hold the blocks together.




We had some left over tongue and groove board from a toy box Randy built.  So we, when I say we I mean Randy, cut the board to the desired length.




And we painted it green, again I mean Randy!




I placed the blocks how I wanted them on the board.




And Randy screwed the blocks into the board and attached some picture hangers.  I'm not even going to pretend I did this part, because lets face it, men love their power tools!




Then we hung it on the wall!




Randy thought we should center it over the tree but I had other plans.




See with the bench underneath it, it looks better lined up with the bench.  Now we just can't move the bench!!




I don't think the boy will forget his name because now it's on the wall twice, but this was the perfect spot for it, right by the doorway.




I just love it!  Randy and I built it together, out of things we already had and now have the pleasure of knowing WE made it!!  I hope Wyatt will appreciate it as he grows older.  

Have you made anything for your kids your proud of?

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool and creative. And you are right, homemade stuff just makes you smile b/c you know how much work and thought went into making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great. Very creative and nice that you didn't have to go out and buy extra stuff! Looks perfect there!

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile, I love your comments, and I love to reply, but cannot if you are set to "no reply."
So to change this....
Log into blogger on your dashboard page, click "edit profile" on the left side of the page. Then check "SHOW EMAIL ADDRESS" in the 3rd line down, and at the bottom of the page click SAVE CHANGES!
You won't be showing the world your email address just those you leave a comment to. THANKS!!!